MOVING BED BIOFILM REACTOR (MBBR) TECHNOLOGY
Moving Bed Bio-film Reactor (MBBR) processes improve reliability, simplify operation, and require less space than traditional wastewater treatment systems.
MBBR technology employs thousands of polyethylene bio-film carriers operating in mixed motion within an aerated wastewater treatment basin. Each individual bio carrier increases productivity through providing protected surface area to support the growth of heterotrophic and autotrophic bacteria within its cells. It is this high-density population of bacteria that achieves high-rate biodegradation within the system, while also offering process reliability and ease of operation.
This technology provides cost-effective treatment with minimal maintenance since MBBR processes self maintain an optimum level of productive bio film. Additionally, the bio film attached to the mobile bio carriers within the system automatically responds to load fluctuations.
- Compact Design
- A fraction of the size of conventional systems
- Capacity can be easily upgraded by simply increasing the fill fraction of bio film carriers
- Single Pass Process
- No return activated sludge stream required
- Load Responsive
- Actively sloughed bio film automatically responds to load fluctuations
- Minimal Maintenance
- No F/M ratios or MLSS levels to maintain